<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://thepinksamurai.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Pink Samurai: DIY • Embroidered Cat Tote Bag

The Pink Samurai

Monday, March 31, 2014

DIY • Embroidered Cat Tote Bag

I was walking through Hobby Lobby the other day looking for a necklace chain, a new P hook, some twine, you know, the usual.  But, I ended up just meandering around, as I do, and I came across this incredible tote bag.  It was huge and sturdy and had two giant flat pockets on the outside.  It's like it was telling me to stitch a kitten to it.  There was nothing I could do.

So here's how to make one of your own...you know it's calling to you haha!  
SUPPLIES
DIRECTIONS
  • Free-hand draw your pattern onto the tote with your pencil.  Don't worry if it looks wonky, you can always erase.  Or just go with and let it have an organic look.  There are no mistakes here!
  • Start your backstitchin'.  I started with the cat face and tail, making the beginning and ending stitches go under the pocket to give the illusion that the cat popping out.  
  • The paws are a little trickier.  To make the floss go over the edge of the pocket, carefully place the needle on the backside of the pocket's seam.  Be careful not to stitch all the way through.  Pull the thread through that stitch on the backside of the seam and then wrap it around the edge of the same and stitch like normal.
  • When you get to the end, just wrap your last backstitch around the edge of the seam and that's it!  That one is a little easier.
  • Optional: If you want to protect the threads on the inside of bag, grab some fusible interfacing, cut to the size you need and iron it one.  That will keep the threads from getting caught on anything. 
I hope you like this one!  It works up really quickly.  I think it only took me around 15 - 20 mins.  Mine is going to be my new grocery bag ^_^

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 12:59 PM , Blogger Amy said...

I love it, so cute! I can't wait to try it. ^_^

catscraftsncritters.blogspot.ca

 
At 2:32 PM , Anonymous Rachel | The Crafted Life said...

Oh my goodness, this is too adorable!

 
At 5:36 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This is so cute! I bought a tote bag with the intention of cross stitching on it, but maybe I'll have to embroider a cat instead!

 
At 2:47 AM , Blogger Lubka Henry said...

Very pretty idea! Now I need to find a blank tote :)

Lu ❤
http://www.balgarka.co.uk

 
At 4:02 AM , Anonymous onel said...

What a simple and cute add-on! Oh, and I love your last shot ;)

 
At 12:20 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

So cute!

 
At 6:01 AM , Blogger Carol said...

Cute idea--and simple too! Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home